Recipe By TV Chef, Jeeny Maltese
Jeeny Maltese, Co-Founder of My Nutrition Ireland and Food/Recipe Editor at the theTaste.ie has kindly agreed to share her content with us. Jeeny is a TV Chef who specialises in producing healthy recipes and alternatives.
For the next 7 weeks we’ll be sharing with you some of her finest creations. Starting with this magnificent dish the Middle Eastern Shakshuka Breakfast. A delicious and nutritious meal the whole family will love. Follow the below recipe to boost your brownie points with your wife!
Having poached eggs Shakshuka style for breakfast involves poaching the eggs in a earthy paprika tomato sauce, spiced lightly with chilli and capsicum. One of my favourite meals of the day, it is breakfast or brunch! But you can easily have it as dinner or lunch. Always tasty and so satisfying.
– 15 ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
– 1 onion, finely diced
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 1 red capsicum (pepper), finely diced
– 2 red chillies, finely diced
– 2 Tbsp tomato purée
– 1 tsp sweet paprika
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 425 g tomato passata
– ½ tsp brown sugar
– 500 g kale, stalks removed and finely sliced
– 6 eggs
– 1 small handful parsley sprigs
– fresh crusty sourdough bread, to serve (or any favourite bread)
- Heat the oil in a medium heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper and chilli.
- Cook for 3–5 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelised.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the tomato and sugar, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15–20 minutes.
- Add the kale and stir through the tomato sauce. Crack the eggs one by one into the tomato mixture in the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked the way you like. Sprinkle over some fresh parsley, season with salt and pepper, and serve with fresh crusty sourdough bread.
Jeeny Maltese, a Latin-American born TV chef & food writer. Featuring as celebrity chef on the RTE “Today Show with Maura & Daithi” and Virgin Media “The Six O’Clock Show”. Keynote speaker and guest chef at top festivals & events nationwide. Passionate about good eating & good food, making it accessible for everyone, through her cooking methods and philosophy. Enamoured with Ireland’s stunning land, quality food produce & its passionate people.