These Heart shaped waffles, are a traditional recipe and treat throughout Scandinavia, “Våfflor” made crispy and light in Sweden or soft with a doughy textured in Norway. Topped with homemade compotes, jams, berries and whipped cream, or “gjeitost” a Norwegian goat’s cheese. This recipe is more of a Våfflor style (Swedish waffles), with small adaptations, want them crispier? just add more butter, just like we need any excuses to add more butter to a breakfast/brunch recipe!
– 2 corn-fed eggs, separated
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 4 tablespoons butter, melted
– 1 cup buttermilk (more if needed)
– 1 1/2 cups plain flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1 pinch sea salt
1. Place egg yolks into a large mixing bowl with sugar, beat until light and frothy.
2. Mix in vanilla, half the melted butter, half the buttermilk, half the flour.
3. When mixture is smooth, mix in remaining butter, buttermilk, flour, cardamom, baking powder and sea salt, mix into a smooth batter.
4. Make sure not to over mix the batter, just let it rest without stirring any further.
5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks; gently fold the egg whites into the batter, incorporating as much volume as possible.
6. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
7. Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter into the pre-heated waffle iron, close the lid, and cook until the waffle is golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
8. Remove waffle and serve hot with your favourite toppings.
9. Repeat the same process with remaining batter.
10. My little trick is if the waffles are made ahead, just re-heat for a few seconds in a toaster and serve immediately!… perfect, crispy and hot waffles every time.
RECIPE BY CHEF JEENY MALTESE
Jeeny Maltese, a Latin-American born TV chef & food writer. Featuring as celebrity chef on the RTE “Today Show with Maura & Daithi” and Virgin Media “The Six O’Clock Show”. Keynote speaker and guest chef at top festivals & events nationwide. Passionate about good eating & good food, making it accessible for everyone, through her cooking methods and philosophy. Enamoured with Ireland’s stunning land, quality food produce & its passionate people.
You can catch up with Jeeny at all the top food festivals nationwide, doing live cookery demonstrations on stage and talks all over the country, from Taste of Dublin, Galway International Food Festival, Taste of Cavan, Savour Kilkennyand many more.
2 Comments Add yours
I bet these are delicious!
They are indeed, Dorothy!